The Information CashStar Collects
CashStar may collect information before or after you purchase an E-Gift Card, if you contact Customer Support, to fulfill your requests to participate in certain offers and promotions, or if you choose to tell a friend about our service.
- Consumer Provided Information: When you visit bestbuyca.cashstar.com, you may provide to CashStar with personal information (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, and home/mobile telephone number, etc.) if you purchase an E-Gift Card from or otherwise participate in services offered on the Sites. In addition, you may have the option of providing us with certain demographic information about yourself (such as age, gender, household compensation, interests, postal code, and province).
- “Cookies” Information: When you visit the Sites, we may send one or more cookies (a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters) to your computer. CashStar uses both session cookies and persistent cookies. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to bestbuyca.cashstar.com. These persistent cookies can be removed, but each web browser is a little different. So, please review your browser's “Help” file to learn the correct way to modify your cookies setup. We do not link the information we store in cookies to any personally identifiable information you submit while on our site.
- “Automatically Collected” Information: When you use the Sites or open one of our HTML emails, we automatically record certain data using technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons,” cookies (discussed above), IP addresses, unique “device IDs” (similar to IP addresses), and log files. “Automatically collected” data includes coupon printing and redemption activity, web browser type, the website that referred you to us, the web pages you viewed on the Sites, and the dates and times that you visited the Sites.
- Client Provided Information: When CashStar manages E-Gift Card promotions for a “Client” (a company or organization to which CashStar provides business services, such as Best Buy Canada), personal information may be shared with CashStar in order to process the E-Gift Card generation and redemption activity on behalf of that Client.
CashStar may also receive additional information from Facebook or other applications when you chose the Facebook Connect delivery functionality. This information may include your list of friends, their birthdays, and their profile picture. You should review the privacy practices and settings of Facebook and other applications to understand the ways they will be using your data. If you do not wish to share this information with CashStar, do not choose the Facebook Connection delivery option.
The Way CashStar Uses Information
CashStar uses the information that we collect to:
- operate, maintain, and provide to you all of the E-Gift Card services and promotional offerings found on the bestbuyca.cashstar.com site;
- notify you for customer service purposes; process and record E-Gift Card printing and redemption activity and monitor usage trends and preferences;
- improve the way the transactions work and look and create new features and functionality;
- monitor the effectiveness of marketing campaigns and improve our marketing and promotional efforts;
- send you coupons, merchandise or other offers from Clients, if you have affirmatively opted-in to receive such mailings;
- occasionally send you other information about CashStar, its clients, affiliates and business partners and their products and services if you have affirmatively opted-in to receiving such mailings.
When CashStar Discloses Information
CashStar discloses “automatically collected” data (such as email open rate, E-Gift Card viewed activity) to its Clients who may match this data with information that they have previously collected about you under their own privacy policies, which you should consult on a regular basis.
We do not share “personally identifiable” information with other third-party organizations for their marketing or promotional uses without your consent.
We may disclose Customer information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with provincial and federal laws or respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena, or warrant.
You will be notified when your personal information is collected by any third party that is not our agent/service provider, so you can make an informed choice as to whether or not to share your information with that party.
In some cases if you decline to share personal information on the bestbuyca.cashstar.com site, CashStar will not be able to provide certain services to you.
Our Commitment to Data Security
CashStar uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. WE CANNOT, HOWEVER, ENSURE OR WARRANT THE SECURITY OF ANY INFORMATION YOU TRANSMIT TO CASHSTAR, AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. We caution you about transmitting valuable bank or credit information in a public place (airports or cafes.) Whilst your credit card company or bank will typically use security protection, you should try to ensure that you are using a secure network.
Once we receive your transmission of information, CashStar makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
In the Event of Merger or Sale
If CashStar is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from our Customers as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
Effective Date, Date Last Modified
CashStar Contact Information
129 Middle Street
Portland, ME 04101
We will respond to your inquiry within 30 days of its receipt.
Best Buy Canada E-Gift Card, powered by CashStar.